Thursday, November 29, 2012

Mum not Mom

I'm still mum. Not that the kids actually call me this, preferring to use my first name, but I am holding onto that "u" for dear life.

When I wrote an email to my son's class today I put in brackets after my name (Mr5's mum). My daughter corrected me. "It is 'mom'", she said.

But it isn't.

I accept that when my kids bring home cards made at school they will be addressed to Mom. And I can almost cope with the fact that they will learn math concepts in inches rather than centimetres. I even find myself thinking in fahrenheit rather than celsius when in California.

But I am still Mum.

It might be silly, or it might be that in that "u" lies my history, the history of who I am and where I'm from, of what I called my mother and what she called her own.

I am holding onto Mum. It is the name that my children have scrawled on homemade cards. It is the name they call out when they are sad and forget to call me Michelle.

For me 'Mom' is a name on a Hallmark card. It isn't me. I am Mum.






1 comment:

  1. Bloody oath you are! ;) Cling on for dear life. 'Mom' is more American than apple pie and not for the homesick Australian mother :) xx

    ReplyDelete