Friday, December 14, 2012

Hug your children tight and then do something

This morning I volunteered in my son's Kindergarten classroom, helping the children glaze their clay gingerbread people. I watched with admiration as the teacher - who in my eyes walks on water - calmly dealt with multiple small crises and somehow got a roomful of energetic five and six-year-old's organised and ready to learn.

And then I returned home to my sick boy (he was home with his dad and the "coughers") to the news that is every American parent's worst nightmare. A 20-year-old man had slain, with a gun, twenty kindergarten children, and six others before killing himself. He did so while wearing a bullet proof vest and with a weapon that is legally available.

I have no words to make this better. Instead I recommend that we all channel our anger, grief, rage, despair and fight back. We need to beat the NRA at their own game, with both dollars and smarts.

To this end today I donated dollars to the Brady Center for Gun Control. Please consider making your own donation to this organisation or another group who is working for sane gun laws (and please share in the comments what other advocacy groups are out there).

I also called the White House (202-456-1111) and tearfully told the volunteer that I am a parent of a kindergarten child, that I was devastated by the news and I will no longer provide dollar support for the Democrats until they get very serious and specific about gun control, starting with the President. I will be conveying the same message to the Congressional campaign workers who call me weekly (or is it daily) asking for money.

Hug your children tight and offer up your prayers. But don't stop there.

Michelle x

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am in full agreement with you on this matter and have been speaking out about it for a while. Enough is enough! Hugs to you and all the other parents and grandparents who worry about our kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. We shall both keep plugging away on this. Terrible day.

      Delete
  3. Michelle - thank you for your well-written post. It is unbelievable that shootings continue & blame is attached to things other than guns. Bernard also found your post hit the spot. But both of us wish there'd never been a reason to write it. Denyse x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise. I think we all feel the need to say something to express our disgust, horror, grief. You name it! I just hope that from this follows real action.
      M

      Delete
  4. Michelle I will never understand the argument for no gun control.

    Love & stuff
    Mrs M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is incomprehensible but real. But I think that maybe, just maybe, there is a chance for breakthroughs. It will not bring back those poor children or their teachers but maybe we can prevent more of these horrors.
      Michelle xx

      Delete
  5. All day yesterday, I read about friends praying for the families. I love your approach Michelle. Do something. I've shared your post with friends. None of us can stop thinking about how truly awful this all is, we all feel helpless - but if we could be the force behind even the smallest change, it has to be better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kirsty. The prayer without action business drives me nuts. Prayer and a phone call no problem.
      Michelle xx

      Delete