Sunday, August 25, 2013

People for the ethical treatment of ... humans

I was going to ask about the eggs at the grocers today:

I see they are organic, and it says they are cage free
But are they free range? Certified?

And then I stopped myself.

I had just had a conversation with the butcher, who told me that today he had worked a split shift, meaning he had come in for three hours, gone home and had to return for a second shift on the same day. Clearly the new grocery shop in town, the one that I have fallen a little bit in love with, is not a unionized workplace.

So instead of asking the man packing the fridge section about the living conditions of the hens who laid the eggs I kept quiet. I bought the eggs that seemed the most likely to have been produced ethically; but I did not bother a man who was likely working for minimum wage without health care or union protection with my egg question.

If you have the means it is not so hard to purchase ethically raised food. It costs a little, sometimes a lot more, but that doesn't seem to bother the consumers at Whole Foods and any number of other gourmet grocers.

These are careful consumers who pride themselves on caring about their own health, the environment and the humane treatment of animals.

If this care does not extend to the humane treatment of the actual humans standing in front of you then it all starts to look a little hollow.

















5 comments:

  1. Completely. Well observed, M x

    ReplyDelete