Tuesday, December 24, 2013

My "best" books of 2013

I have been avoiding writing this post as it feels unfair. I enjoyed most of the 52 plus books I read this year so how do I decide which are "the best"?

The truth is I can't, and I could easily add another 10 books to this list and continue to agonise over my choices right up until NYE. Instead, I am going to commit to this list of 10 plus a few more great books from 2013:

Meg Wolitzer, The Interestings

Liz Gilbert, The Signature of All Things

Jo Baker, Longbourn

Claire Messud, The Woman Upstairs

Romy Ash, Floundering

Jayne Anne Phillips, Quiet Dell

Jennifer du Bois, Cartwheel

Jhumpa Lahiri, The Lowland

Hannah Kent, Burial Rites

Alice McDermott, Someone

Kate Atkinson, Life After Life

AM Homes, May We Be Forgiven

Elana Ferrante, My Brilliant Friend

Short stories


Rebecca Lee, Bobcat and other stories

Memoir


Christa Parravani, Her

Dani Shapiro, Still Writing: The perils and pleasures of a creative life

All of the above were published in 2013. Three of my very favourite 2013 reads were published in 2012:

Adam Haslett, The Orphan Master's Son

Jess Walter, Beautiful Ruins

Maria Semple, Where'd you go, Bernadette?











4 comments: